Teaching Assistantships / Instructional Assistantships
Department of English / Texas State University
APPLICATION PROCESS: The Department of English appoints IAs and TAs once each year, in the spring for the following fall. We strongly encourage women and minorities to apply.
Prior to submitting an application, please review the downloadable "IA/TA Policy and Guidelines" document below. In order to be considered for an appointment, we must receive a single PDF file containing items 1-4 below, in that order, by February 1, 2018.
1) A completed Texas State Department of English IA/TA Employment Application available for download below.
2) A résumé or curriculum vitae listing your educational background and employment history (including teaching experience, if any), and other pertinent information.
3) A statement describing your reasons for seeking a graduate assistantship (limit 500 words); this statement should focus on your interest in and potential for teaching. Because Texas State University is a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution, experience with and/or knowledge of diverse student populations is preferred.
4) Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work completed, including work at Texas State. Transcripts need not Up-to-date be official. Note: You must supply a separate set of transcripts with this application, even if you have already submitted transcripts with your application for graduate study. Also, if you are hired as a TA, you will be asked to submit a set of official transcripts to the English Department.
You must also obtain three letters of recommendation addressing your potential as a teacher, as well as your academic qualifications. Your recommenders will email their letters directly to Texas State University. (See directions below.)
DOCUMENT SUBMISSION PROCESS:
___ Create a PDF file of 1-4 above in this order: 1) IA/TA Application form; 2) A résumé or CV; 3) Statement of interest in and potential for teaching; 4) Up-to-date transcripts.
___ Name the PDF file LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME2018. Email the single PDF as an attachment to email@example.com.
___ Have three recommenders email their letters directly to Texas State University Department of English at firstname.lastname@example.org. (We accept Interfolio submissions.)
DEADLINE: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all materials, including letters of recommendation, are received by the English Department on or before February 1. We cannot consider late or incomplete applications. Those applying for assistantships must also apply for program admission by February 1.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: For additional information about assistantships and application procedures, contact Dr. Flore Chevaillier (512-245-7683; email@example.com) or the appropriate graduate director:
- Professor Doug Dorst, MFA program (512-245-7681; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Professor Teya Rosenberg, MA Literature program (512-245-7685; email@example.com)
- Professor Miriam Williams, MA Technical Communication program (512-245-3733; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Professor Rebecca Jackson, MA Rhetoric and Composition program (512-245-8975; email@example.com)