January 15 is the deadline for fall admission and IA/TA assistantships.
November 1 is the deadline for spring admission. (Applicants for spring admission are not considered for a graduate assistantship.)
Where to Submit Your Application Materials:
- Complete your electronic application through ApplyTexas. Within 24 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an email from the Graduate College at Texas State University with your assigned campus NetID. NOTE: We recommend that you complete your ApplyTexas application well before the deadline day to ensure that you receive your NetID in time.
- A $40 nonrefundable application fee to the Graduate College. You can submit your payment online through TouchNet or mail a check to the address below. (Note: International students may have to pay an additional $50 fee.)
- Request official transcripts from each four-year college or university you have attended to be sent to the Graduate College.
- Upload ALL other application materials––including your writing portfolio––through the Graduate Admissions Document Upload system (GADU). In order to log into GADU, you will need the NetID information sent to you by the Graduate College after you submitted the ApplyTexas application. This information will be sent to you within 24 hours of submitting your ApplyTexas application.
- Note regarding the writing portfolio: Please submit your portfolio as a single PDF file. The PDF must show your last name and your genre (e.g., Smith, Poetry). Fiction writers should submit up to 30 pages of fiction (short stories and/or a novel excerpt); poets should submit 12-15 poems; fiction/creative nonfiction writers should submit one short story or brief novel excerpt and one creative nonfiction essay (up to 30 pages total).
If your prior institutions will only send hard-copy transcripts, you may send them to:
The Graduate College
Texas State University
601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666-4684
If you are applying for admissions only, you need not submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, or a statement of purpose.
For general admissions question, please e-mail the MFA Program Coordinator at email@example.com.
All applicants are automatically considered for MFA program scholarships.