Apply for Admission
January 15 is the deadline for fall admission applications.
February 1 is the deadline for Assistantship applications. IA/TA positions are awarded on an annual basis, for the entire academic year following the application.
November 1 is the deadline for spring admission applications. Applicants for spring admission may only apply for IA/TA positions (by 2/1, as described above) that begin the following academic year.
Where to Submit Your Application Materials
- Complete your electronic application through ApplyTexas. Within 48 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an email from the Graduate College at Texas State University with your assigned campus NetID. NOTE: We recommend that you complete your ApplyTexas application well before the deadline day to ensure that you receive your NetID in time.
- A $40 nonrefundable application fee to the Graduate College. You can submit your payment online through TouchNet or mail a check to the address below. (Note: International students may have to pay an additional $50 fee.)
- Official transcripts from each college or university you have attended, must be sent to the Graduate College. Please send to the following address:
The Graduate College
Texas State University
The 601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666-4684
- Teaching Assistantship Application or a Waiver of Assistantship. A Teaching Assistantship application is required for students who would like financial assistance in the form of Fellowships or Assistantships. (Note: This requirement will be waived upon your written request. If you do not wish to be considered for any Assistantships or Fellowships, and would like to apply to the MFA program anyway, you may email email@example.com and indicate this preference in lieu of completing the Assistantship application.) The application, posted in early September, will include the following components:
- Application form
- Personal statement (regarding teaching, rather than writing)
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Upload your writing portfolio––through the Graduate Admissions Document Upload system (GADU). In order to log into GADU, you will need the NetID information sent to you by the Graduate College after you submitted the ApplyTexas application. This information will be sent to you within 48 hours of submitting your ApplyTexas application.
- Note regarding the writing portfolio: Please submit your portfolio as a single PDF file. The PDF must show your last name and your genre (e.g., Smith, Poetry). Fiction writers should submit up to 30 pages of fiction (short stories and/or a novel excerpt); poets should submit 12-15 poems; fiction/creative nonfiction writers should submit one short story or brief novel excerpt and one creative nonfiction essay (up to 30 pages total).
All applicants are automatically considered for MFA program scholarships, though Assistantships are the primary means of financial support. Students must apply for Teaching Assistantships or waive this requirement by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and indicating their preference. Learn more about Assistantships here.
For general admissions questions, please e-mail Stanislav Rivkin, MFA Program Coordinator, at email@example.com.