Texas State University’s Teacher Preparation Program
To become a teacher, students admitted to Texas State University must be also admitted to the Teacher Preparation Program. Students can apply after completing 30 hours of college courses. Applications received by the last Friday of September are processed for spring semester enrollment. Those received by the last Friday of February are processed for fall semester enrollment.
For current information, please visit the Office of Educator Preparation Web site, www.education.txstate.edu/oep.
To be admitted to the Teacher Preparation Program, a student must meet the following criteria:
- 2.75 overall GPA
- English language proficiency as demonstrated in a written essay
- Three letters of recommendation from a service learning/work supervisor, university professor, or approved personal reference
- Speech and English language usage proficiency a demonstrated in a screening interview conducted by two faculty members
- Six hours of service learning experience, defined as the integration of community service related to teaching children and/or adolescents
- Evaluation of disposition for teaching
- Demonstrated college-level skills in reading, oral and written communication, critical thinking, and mathematics.