Sigma Tau Delta
The Sigma Tau Delta Texas State University - San Marcos 2019 inductees.
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, it was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
Sigma Tau The Society strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and Serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 750 active chapters located in Europe, the Caribbean, and the United States, there are more than 1,000 faculty sponsors, and approximately 8,500 members inducted annually.
Sigma Tau Delta's central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
Sigma Tau Delta is also the proud sponsor of The National English Honor Society (NEHS). NEHS, a program of Sigma Tau Delta, serves students and faculty in high schools throughout the country and provides an outreach to thousands of students and faculty who share a commitment to excellence in English language arts.
Sigma Tau Delta is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS), the nation's only certifying agency for college and university honor societies.
There are more than 700 active chapters across the world, each defined by its location and membership, yet bound to the rest by the common goal of promoting excellence in the disciplines of the English language. Members of every chapter have the opportunity to share their love of literature and linguistics with like-minded peers, participate in rewarding activities, and be recognized for their accomplishments. They may also apply, or in some cases instantly qualify, for one or more of the Society's numerous awards and scholarships.