Teaching First-Year English
Approved FYE Textbooks
The Texas State Department of English requires all faculty to adopt Andrea Lunsford's Easy Writer and a reader selected from a list of vetted texts.
You must use a university syllabus template for English 1310 and English 1320. Be sure to include the correct section number.
- General Education Council's Required Templates
FYE Course Calendar
- English 1310 Course Calendar with Lesson Plans
- Link to university calendar
- Link to final exams schedule
Below are links to a shared Google Drive. In the Drive, you can find a myriad of lesson plans, prompts, sample essays, and other teaching resources that will aid you in your time as a TA. If you develop successful original lesson plans or resources, please feel free to add them to the Drive.
Below are several important University and departmental policies and procedures that pertain to teaching First-Year English.
- Official First-Year English Syllabus
- Attendance Policy
- Annual Review (Lecturers, Senior Lecturers, and Professors)
- Academic Dishonesty
- University Academic Calendar
- Final Exam Schedule
- Campus Carry
- Title IX
- HB 2504 Site
- CV-Template for TAs***
***Each semester, all faculty are required to upload their syllabi and current CV to the "HB 2504" site (see link above).
With small class sizes, students often turn to their First-Year English instructors for guidance. One of the ways you can be most helpful is to refer students to available University resources.
- The Writing Center
- Student Learning Assistance Center
- Office of Disability Services
- The Counseling Center
- Academic Advising
- Personalized Academic and Career Exploration Center
- Financial Aid
- Division of Student Affairs
- Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion
- Office of Veterans Affairs
- PAWS Alert
- Student Success Plan
With the rise of mental health awareness and concerns on universities, it's important to know your resources and what actions you can take. This link provides websites, assessments, and other tools for you. Find Resources for Student Mental Health Concerns.